Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Caucasia opening reflections

The opening of this story is overall more enjoyable and less confusing than both metamorphasis and Slaughterhouse 5. Birdie and Cole's parents are clearly both involved with politics having to do with the issue of race; however, Deck Lee seems to be focusing only on theories and his book while Sandy is actually taking part in some obscure plan and plot. I found the part where Birdie and her dad were in the park and he poice were brought over by the old couple interesting; one wouldn't think such harsh action would be taken when a man and child who don't look to be the same race are near one another in a public place. A couple other points I fornd interesting were the Elmeno language connecting Cole and Birdie, the Nykumurah black pride school, and the reoccuring importance of both Cole's hair and Sandy's weight. I'm thinking each of these may reoccur as themes throughout the book. I'm also quite curious as to what exactly Sandy did which caused the family to uproot and run, and also what exactly Redbone is up to.

1 comment:

Ky-Ky Bebeh said...

Hmmmmm, as of now, we're a decent ways into the book, and now that you mentioned Redbone... I can't remember lately when he was last mentioned in the book.

What I mean is that I think he may creep up at the climax of the book or something... The last time we saw Redbone was when he was taking sketchy pictures of Birdie...

Hmmmmm... @.@

Anyways, I definitely agree with you on the motif of hair throughout the book. It just always seems to show up in passage after passage! o.O